Here are Some of the Most Creative and Fun College Application Prompts
The 2018-19 college application season is in full swing, and with the opening of the Common Application on August 1 came the release of many school-specific supplements with some quirky and creative college application essay prompts and short answer questions.
College application essays are meant to help college admissions officers get to know students outside of the information already available on the college application, and can provide some context into students’ interests, goals, and motivations. Supplements are also a great way to help students demonstrate their informed interest. While some quirky college application essay prompts might seem weird and irrelevant, students have the chance to get creative and revel something about themselves that can’t be found anywhere else in the application.
Below are some our favorite fun, creative, and downright wacky college application essay prompts and short answer questions from 2018-19 applications.
- Would you rather win an Olympic Medal, an Academy Award or the Nobel Peace Prize? Why? (Elon University)
- What is your theme song? (University of Southern California)
- Your favorite keepsake or memento (Princeton University)
- “I have no special talent,” Albert Einstein once observed. “I am only passionately curious.” Celebrate your curiosity. (Dartmouth College)
- It’s 2040. What’s today’s headline? (Elon University)
- In the age of social media, what does engaging with integrity look like for you? (EMORY) OR What is your favorite fiction or non-fiction work (film, book, TV show, album, poem, or play)? Why? (Emory University)
- Describe your typical day. (Georgia Tech)
- Hashtag to describe yourself. (University of Southern California)
- Name three songs from your perfect playlist. (Elon University)
- You’re on a voyage in the thirteenth century, sailing across the tempestuous seas. What if, suddenly, you fell off the edge of the Earth? -Inspired by Chandani Latey, AB'93 (University of Chicago)
- What’s your favorite word and why? (University of Virginia)
- You are teaching a Yale course. What is it called? (Yale University)
- What historical moment or event do you wish you could have witnessed? (Stanford University)
- What is your favorite snack? (University of Southern California)
- What is one thing you will definitely bring to college with you? (University of Notre Dame)
- If you had a personal motto, what would it be? (Wake Forest University)
- If you could create a food truck, what type of food would you serve? Name the truck. (Elon University)
Don’t let unusual college application essay and short answer prompts intimidate you. This is a chance to get creative so take some time to think about what you want to convey with your essays or short answer questions. If you need any help with the college application process, contact us today for more information on our college counseling services for seniors and younger high school students!