The Revised SAT Debuts This Weekend, Boston College Announces Regular Decision Notification Date
This March will see a lot of big college admissions action, with the debut of the new SAT and regular decisions released later in the month. It’s important for college bound students and their parents to stay informed on the latest college admissions news, and at IvyWise we’re making that easier with our weekly news roundup!
This big news this week was, of course, the new SAT. But that’s not all that’s happening in higher education news.
Here are some of the top stories in higher education and college admissions news from this past week:
- It’s been a long time coming– the revised SAT is finally here. Students will sit for the new test Saturday. How will it go? According to some students who were able to take the test earlier this week as part of certain state and city testing requirements, the new SAT isn’t so bad. Here are some sample questions for those unfamiliar with the new test. Hopefully, the Saturday exam will be smooth, but it’s important to keep in mind that scores for the March test won’t be available until after the May exam.
- While college bound students prepare for the Saturday SAT, many test prep providers, teachers, and counselors will be sitting this one out. Those who signed up to take the exam were surprised to learn that the College Board won’t allow them to sit for the test Saturday. It’s not uncommon for educators to take the SAT and ACT in an effort to become more familiar with the exams so they can aid students preparing for the tests. There’s a lot of speculation as to why the College Board won’t allow them to take the March test, however, those denied a spot for the March exam will be allowed to take it in May.
- Attention high school seniors: Colleges are beginning to announce regular decision notification dates! Boston College is one of the firs to release information on when applicants will receive their decisions. Decisions will be emailed the week of March 14, 2016. Be sure to check back on the blog next week, as we will be posting our annual regular decision notification date blog post!
- Our March newsletter went out this week! In this month’s edition: College Prep Tips: What College Admission Officers are Really Looking For in Applicants, Understanding the Graduate Admissions Process, and How the New SAT Will Affect International Students.
- Interested in studying performing arts? IvyWise counselor Victoria spoke with Backstage about what students should look for when choosing a performing arts college or program.
- Grad school can get expensive, so how can you fund your continuing education? IvyWise counselor Alicia spoke with Newsday about different ways students can pay for graduate school.
Are you taking the new SAT this weekend? Anxiously waiting to hear your college decisions? Tell us in the comments below!