2016-17 UChicago College Application Essay Prompts Released, List of Colleges Using Coalition Application for the 2016-17 Admissions Season
It may be summer break for students, but the work is just starting in the college admissions world! More schools are releasing their essay prompts before Aug. 1, students have earlier access to application platforms, and there’s a lot happening in college admissions news that could affect the upcoming admissions cycle. Here’s what families need to know.
Right now, rising high school seniors have all the tools they need to get started on their college application essays. While starting on essays and gathering materials during the summer is a great way to get ahead, it’s also important to stay up-to-date on the latest college admissions news and trends. This is why we aim to bring you the latest admissions news every Friday.
Here are some of the top stories in college admissions and higher education news from this past week.
- More colleges are starting to release their application essay prompts for the 2016-17 college admissions cycle, with the University of Chicago announcing their traditionally quirky essay topics this week. If you plan to get a head start on your college applications this summer here are the 2016-17 Common App essay prompts and others.
- There has been a lot of speculation lately over the new Coalition application since it was previously revealed that many members of the new Coalition might not use the application when it launches this fall. Now there’s a list of the colleges that WILL be using the application this fall. 58 colleges total will be using the Coalition application for the 2016-17 application cycle, with the rest deferring to next year.
- Everyone is watching the Supreme Court this month as a ruling on the affirmative action in admissions case is expected soon. Here’s what you need to know about the case and possible outcomes.
- Bad news for international students who planned to take the ACT last weekend – the test was cancelled in South Korea and Hong Kong after the testing agency confirmed there had been a breach of the testing materials.
- NYU posted another waitlist update on its college admissions blog this week.
- College prep isn’t just about looking good on paper – students need to be mindful of their presence online! As part of their summer college prep rising high school seniors need to evaluate their social media profiles.
- Don’t just show up to your college visit – prepare! IvyWise counselor Nat spoke with US News & World Report about how families can prep for college visits and make the most of their time on campus.
- Hamilton is taking over college, too! Wesleyan University is offering a scholarship in honor of the hit musical and its creators – who are Wesleyan alum.
- The first day at a new job is a lot like the first day of school. Dr. Kat has some tips for recent grads, and established professionals, who are preparing for their first day at a new job.
What do you think of UChicago’s 2016-17 essay prompts? Do you plan to use the Coalition application if the colleges you’re applying to are accepting it? Tell us in the comments below!