Many Colleges Not Using the Coalition Application This Fall, Harvard University’s Annual Senior Survey Released
It’s the Friday before a long weekend, but there’s still a lot happening in the world of college admissions and higher education news. Read the latest college admissions news before you head out for the holiday!
Staying informed is one of the best things that students and parents can do when preparing for the college admissions process. The admissions landscape is constantly changing, and at IvyWise we aim to make staying informed as easy as possible by bringing you the latest college admissions and higher education news every week.
Here are some of the top stories in higher education and college admissions news from this past week:
- There’s been a lot of speculation surrounding the new Coalition Application since its announcement last year. The locker portion of the platform is finally live, but the application has yet to launch. It was previously reported that many Coalition members might not use the Coalition application in its first year, and now there’s a list of colleges that have confirmed that they won’t be using the Coalition application this year. See which colleges are not using the Coalition application for the 2016-17 admissions season here.
- Every year Harvard University’s student paper The Harvard Crimson surveys the senior class to learn more about its demographics, political and social opinions, future plans, and more. Check out Harvard’s class of 2016 senior survey here.
- Do highly selective colleges and university discriminate against Asian-American applicants? A number of Asian-American organizations have asked the Department of Education to investigate a number of highly selective colleges and their admission practices. IvyWise counselor Nat spoke with the Wall Street Journal about the complaint and how the selective admissions process works.
- College counseling is so important! That is why Tennessee is launching a new program to add college counselors to 30 public high schools this fall.
- A cool story to read before the long weekend: “A 12-year-old genius with 3 college degrees aims to be a doctor by 18.”
- What the best thing to do when applying to college? Stay organized! IvyWise enrollment manager Alison stopped by the blog this week to share how she stayed organized during her admissions journey. Hint: A LOT of spreadsheets and checklists!
- Karlie Kloss is helping more girls get involved in STEM!
What do you think of schools’ decision not to use the Coalition application this fall? Tell us in the comments below!