Experts Give Insight into the New Coalition College Application, Record-Number of Colleges are Test-Optional or Flexible
As we delve deeper into the application season, it’s important for students to, not only stay informed on the latest college admissions news, but also understand how it impacts their college application strategy. With more test-optional colleges and a new college application option available, students have a lot more to consider as they apply to college this fall.
Staying informed is one of the most important things that college bound students and their parents can do when preparing to apply to college. We aim to make that easier by bringing you the latest college admissions and higher education news every Friday.
Here are some of the top stories in college admissions news that can affect students applying to college this fall.
- IvyWise’s Dr. Kat and other college admissions experts spoke to the Yale Daily News about the new Coalition application and how it might impact the college admissions process this year. Many noted that, while it may have potential, they’re not paying too much attention to it this year. Even at IvyWise, we’re advising students to stick with the already established Common Application. To learn more about the Coalition App check out our guide here.
- A new analysis of admissions requirements has found that a record-number of colleges – more than 870 – have adopted test-optional or test-flexible admissions policies, meaning they may not require SAT or ACT score for admission or they only require certain scores.
- Interested in RI when researching colleges and majors? PayScale released its annual salary report this week. Here’s a list of the 25 majors with the highest starting salaries.
- Inside Higher Ed released the results of its survey of college admissions counselors this week, and found that yield is still a major concern for admissions officials, with 37% of admissions directors saying they met their enrollment goals by May 1, down from 42% last year.
- Some Harvard students have put together a free college admissions guide to help students navigating the college application process. Check it out here.
- The size of a college campus can have a big impact on your experience. Should you consider a small, medium, or large college?
Don’t forget! We’re hosting our next Twitter chat Monday Sept. 26 at 6 pm ET. Get your questions about early decision and early action applications answered by one of our expert counselors! Join in by following IvyWise on Twitter and tweet your questions with the #ChatIvyWise hashtag!